Sunday, February 2, 2014

CLAUSES

20. Look at the groups of words in italics in the following sentences:-
1. They rested at sunset. [Rested when?]
2. They vested when evening came, [Rested when?]
It is evident that both the groups of words in italics, in 1 and 2, do the work of an Adverb
as they modify the verb rested, showing when the action was performed.
We at once recognize the first group of words, at sunset, as an Adverb Phrase. Is the
second group of words, when evening came, also-an Adverb Phrase?
No: it is not a Phrase for, unlike a Phrase, it has a Subject (evening) and a Predicate
(came when) of its own, and is thus like a sentence. But though like a sentence it is part
of a sentence.
Such a group of words that forms part of a sentence, and has a Subject and a Predicate of
its own, is called a Clause.
Since the Clause, when evening came, does the work of an Adverb clause.
Def:- An Adverb Clause is a group of words which contains a Subject and a Predicate of
its own, and does the work of an Adverb.
Exercise 23.
Pick out the Adverb Clauses in the following sentences:-
1. You may sit wherever you like.
2. He fled where his pursuers could not follow.
3. He behaves as one might expect him to do.
4. Because you have done this I shall punish you.
5. As he was not there, I spoke to his brother.
6. If you eat too much you will be ill.
7. He finished first though he began late.
8. Will you wait till I return?
9. Just as he entered the room the clock struck,
10. They went where living was cheaper.
11. He does not always speak as he thinks.
12. Take a lamp because the night is dark.
13. I do it because I choose to.
14. If I make a promise I keep it,
15. You will pass if you work hard.
16. He advanced as far as he dared.
17. I forgive you since you repent.
18. I shall remain where I am.
19. We shall wait here until you come.
20. When I was younger. I thought so.
21. It was so dark that you could not see your hand.
22. Wherever one goes, one hears the same story,
23. If you do not hurry you will miss the train.
24. Since you have already decided, why do you ask my opinion?



Exercise 24.
Supply suitable Adverb Clauses:-
1. Do not go ---.
2. He is not so clever ---.
3. I was so hurried ---.
4. He ran so fast ---.
5. He always does ---.
6. He spoke so low ---.
7. I shall do nothing ---.
8. Fools rush in ---.
9. Nobody likes him ---.
10. Open rebuke is better ---.
11. He will succeed ---.
12. Make hay ---.
13. He is so busy ---.
14. Do not come ---.
15. The boy went out to play ---.
16. He does ---.
17. He always comes ---.
18. He did ---.
19. She sings exactly ---.
20. The earth is larger ---.
21. His father died ---.
22. He cannot see ---.
23. Do you work well ---?
24. I found my books ---.
25. I will not go out ---.
26. You will succeed or fail ---.
27. Arithmetic is less difficult ---.
28. We shall miss the train ---.
29. Do ---.
21. Examine the following sentences:-
1. The stolen property was found in the dacoits' hiding place.
2. The stolen property was found where the dacoits were accustomed to hide.
It will be noticed that both the groups of words in italics do the work of an Adverb.
But the group of words in italics in sentence 2 is a Clause, because it has a subject (the
dacoits) and a Predicate (were accustomed to hide where) of its own; while the group of words in italics in sentence 1 is a Phrase.

We further notice that the Adverb Phrase, in the dacoits' hiding-place, is equivalent to the
Adverb Clause, where the dacoits were accustomed to hiding, and can therefore be
replaced by it.
Exercise 25.
In each of the following sentences replace each Adverb Phrase by an Adverb Clause:-
1. On his return we asked him many questions.
2. Do it to the best of your ability.
3. The prince was met on his arrival by his secretary.
4. In spite of poverty he became distinguished.
5. Upon seeing the signal the troops set out.
6. Nobody must expect to become rich without hard work.
7. They were very grateful to him for his kindness.
8. In comparison with air water is heavy.
9. The weather is too bright to last.
10. My heart is too full for words.
11. The work is too much for any man to do single-handed.
12. With a view to early retirement he saved his money.
13. In the event of the president's death the vice-president succeeds him.
14. He always carried out his duties according to instructions.
15. The price is high for an old car.
16. He ran with all his might.
17. After such hard work, he requires a long rest.
18. He was base enough to accept the dishonourable terms.
19. Many ships were so shattered as to be wholly unmanageable.
20. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
Exercise 26.
In each of the following sentences replace each Adverb Clause by an Adverb or Adverb
Phrase:-
1. I have not been well since I returned from Chennai.
2. When the sun set he returned home.
3. They fought as heroes do.
4. When the righteous rule, the people rejoice.
5. Though I am poor yet am I contented.
6. We have come so that we may help you.
7. When he entered the room he saw the vase broken.
8. The thief crept as a jackal does.
9. I am glad that he has recovered from his illness.
10. He works hard so that he may become rich.
11. He worked so hard that he succeeded.
12. As soon as I saw the cobra I ran away.
13. We ran so that we might arrive in time.
14. He jested even as he lay dying.
15. No man can become a great artist unless he applies himself continually to his art.
16. There was nothing he would not do if only he might make profit.
17. He was not so rich that he could buy a motor-car.
18. When he had uttered these words he sat down.
19. This exercise is so difficult that I cannot do it.
20. The news is so good that it cannot be true.
21. I did not pay him, as I had no money with me.
22. He lived carefully so that he might live long.
23. The steamer will leave as soon as the mails arrive.
24. He may go home after his work is finished.
25. As he was sick, he remained at home.
26. He was punished as he deserved.
27. This sum is right so far as the working is concerned.
28. It rained so hard that the streets were flooded.
29. I took him because you recommended him.
30. My parents were poor though they were of noble birth.
31. He refuses to work whatever I may say.
32. We will do the work as well as we can.
33. Robinson Crusoe was puzzled when he discovered the print of a foot on the sand.
34. Apollo was worshipped as long as the Roman Empire lasted.
35. He was passing rich though his income was only £ 40 annually.
36. We are kind to you because you are kind to us.
37. The passage is so difficult that I cannot comprehend it.
II. Adjective Clauses
22. Look at the groups of words in italics in the following sentences:-
1. The umbrella with a broken handle is mine. [Which umbrella?]
2. The umbrella which has a broken handle is mine. [Which umbrella?]
The first group of words, with a broken handle, describes the umbrella; that is, it qualifies
the noun umbrella, and does the work of an Adjective. It is what we call an Adjective
phrase.
The second group of words which has a broken handle, also describes the umbrella and
so does the work of an Adjective. But because it contains a Subject and a Predicate of its
own, it is called an Adjective Clause.
Def:- An Adjective Clause is a group of words which contains a Subject and a Predicate
of its own, and does the work of an Adjective.
Exercise 27.
Pick out the Adjective Clauses in the following sentences, and tell what noun or pronoun
each qualifies:-
1. Mary had a little lamb whose fleece was white as snow.
2. The letter brought money which was badly needed.
3. The house that I live in belongs to my father.
4. I am monarch of all I survey.
5. I have a little shadow which goes in and out with me.
6. The dog that bites does not bark.
7. He tells a tale that sounds untrue.
8. It's an ill wind that blows nobody any good.
9. The boy stood on the burning deck whence all but he had fled.
10. They never fail who die in a great cause.
11. I remember the house where I was born.
12. He that climbs too high is sure to fall.
13. Here is the book you want.
14. Heaven helps those who help themselves.
15. He died in the village where he was born.
16. He never does anything that is silly.
17. People who live in glass houses should not throw stones.
18. It is a long lane that has no turning.
19. He laughs best who laughs last.
20. Thrice is he armed that hath his quarrel just.
Exercise 28.
Supply suitable Adjective Clauses:-
1. I know the place ---.
2. He is the man ---.
3. The house --- is a hundred years old.
4. His offence is one ---.
5. Where is the book ---?
6. Boys --- will not be promoted.
7. He has lost the book ---
8. I found the book ---.
9. I know the man ---.
10. No man --- shall suffer in any way.
11. The boy --- gained the prize.
12. I found my penknife in the place ---.
13. Students --- get good marks.
14. Water --- should be kept in a covered jar.
15. Any boy --- will be punished.
16. He went away by the train ---.
23. Examine the following sentences:-
1. He met a girl with blue eyes.
2. He met a girl whose eyes were blue.
The group of words, with blue eyes, qualifies the noun girl.
The group of words, whose eyes were blue, also qualifies the noun girl.
Hence both these groups of words do the work of an Adjective.
But the group of words, with blue eyes, is a Phrase, while the group of words, whose eyes
were blue, is a Clause.
We further notice that the Adjective Phrase, with blue eyes, is equivalent to the Adjective
Clause, whose eyes were blue, and can therefore be replaced by it.
Exercise 29.
In each of the following sentences replace each Adjective Phrase by an Adjective
Clause:-
1. A man of industrious habits is sure to succeed.
2. He told us the time of his arrival.
3. The time for departing has now arrived.
4. Do you know the road leading to the temple?
5. I have a box, filled with almonds.
6. We all admire a man of courage.
7. A city on a hill cannot be hid.
8. The people in the gallery could not hear.
9. You can have anything of your liking.
10. The houses of the Burmans are generally built of bamboo.
Exercise 30.
In the following sentences replace Adjective Clauses by Adjectives or Adjective Phrases:-
1. Do you know the woman who is wearing a blue sari?
2. The boy who sits near me is my cousin.
3. That was the reason why he came late.
4. The reason, why he failed, is obvious,
5. The workers, who were weary with their exertions, lay down to rest.
6. The sun, which at mid-day was hot, made the traveller thirsty,
7. Which is the road that leads most quickly to the station?
8. People who eat too much die early.
9. Many men who have not been trained to write become journalists.
10. This is the place where our forefathers landed.
11. The explanation he gave was not satisfactory.
12. Such men as you cannot be easily disheartened.
13. This boy, who has been industrious, has earned a prize which he has well deserved.
14. A belief which is generally held is not necessarily one which is true.
15. An author who was famous during the freedom struggle lived in that cottage which
overlooks the lake.
III. Noun Clauses
24. Examine the groups of words in italics in the following sentences:-
1. I expect to get a prize. -- [Expect what?]
2. I expect that I shall get a prize.-- [Expect what?]
The first group of words, to get a prize, does not contain a Subject and a Predicate of its
own. It is therefore a phrase. This phrase is object of the verb expect and hence does the
work of a Noun. It is therefore a Noun Phrase.
The second group of words, that I shall get a prize, contains a Subject and a Predicate of
its own. It is therefore a clause. This Clause is the object of the verb expect and so does
the work of a Noun. We therefore call it a Noun Clause,
Now examine the sentence.
That you have come pleases me.
Here the Clause, That you have come, is the Subject of the verb pleases.
It therefore does the work of a Noun, and is what we call a Noun Clause.
Def :- A Noun Clause is a group of words which contains a Subject and a Predicate of its
own, and does the work of a Noun.
Exercise 31.
Point out the Noun Clauses in the following sentences:-
1. I often wonder how you are getting on.
2. I fear that I shall fail.
3. He replied that he would come.
4. Do you deny that you stole the watch?
5. I thought that it would be a fine day.
6. That you should cheat me hurts me.
7. No one knows who he is.
8. He saw that the clock had stopped.
9. That you should say this is very strange.
10. I don't see how you can get out of this mess.
11. I earn whatever I can.
12. I do not know what he wants.
13. There were no complaints except that the day was to hot.
14. I went to see what had happened,
15. I do not understand how it all happened.
16. Pay careful attention to what I am going to say.
17. It grieved me to hear that she was ill.
18. I want to know how far it is from here.
19. Where we were to lodge that night was the problem.
20. He begged that his life might be spared.
21. I think you have made a mistake.
22. Can you guess what I want?
23. How the burglar got in is a mystery.
24. It is uncertain whether he will come.
25. I do not know what he will do.
Exercise 32.
Complete the following by adding suitable Noun Clauses:-
1. I cannot understand ---.
2. They all said ---.
3. I think ---.
4. This is just ---.
5. He told me ---.
6. --- is a well known fact.
7. Do you know ---?
8. I wonder ---.
9. I do not know ---.
10. Please show me ---.
11. --- is quite certain.
12. I feel certain ---.
13. Tell him ---.
14. Will you tell me ---?
15. His father was anxious ---.
16. You forget ---.
17. It is certain ---.
18. Have you heard ---?
19. He was pleased with ---.
Exercise 33.
In each of the following sentences replace the words in italics by suitable Noun Clauses:-
1. The time of his coming no one can guess.
2. I heard of his success.
3. The reason of his failure will never be known.
4. I predict a change in the weather.
5. The jury believed the man guilty.
6. We expect an improvement in business.
7. Who can doubt the truth of his statement ?
8. I know him to be trustworthy.
9. I do not believe the account given by him.
10. He confessed his guilt.
11. He described the attack on the camp.
12. The place of their meeting was known to the police.
13. The sailor told us the direction of the wind.
14. His arrival was quite unexpected.
15. His friends hoped for his success.
16. I know your great regard for him.
Exercise 34.
In each of the following sentences replace each Noun Clause by a Noun or Noun Phrase:-
1. I hope that 1 shall be there in time.
2. He is sure that we will win the match.
3. I remarked that it was a fine day.
4. They do not know where he is concealed.
5. The police must know where he is living.
6. I believe what he says.
7. Tell me what you think about this.
8. The doctor is hopeful that she will soon recover.
9. It is to be regretted that he retired from the world so early in life.
10. I do not believe what he says.
11. He showed how the problem was done.
12. It seems that he is a sharper.
13. He does not know where I live.
14. Tell me why you did this.
15. It is not known who has written this book.
16. The law will punish whosoever is guilty.
25. We have now seen that there are three kinds of Clauses:-
(1) Adverb Clauses which do the work of Adverbs.
(2) Adjective Clauses which do the work of Adjectives.
(3) Noun Clauses which do the work of Nouns.
26. Examine the following sentences, and notice the work done by the Clause in each:-
1. I knew where I could find him.
2. I went to the place where 1 could find him
3. I went where I could find him.
In sentence 1, the Clause does the work of a Noun, and is the Object of the verb know.
In sentence 2, the Clause does the work of an Adjective, and qualifies the noun place.
In sentence 3, the Clause does the work of an Adverb, and modifies the verb went.
We thus see that the same Clause may be a Noun Clause in one sentence, an Adjective
Clause in another, and an Adverb Clause in yet another.
It is therefore clear that we cannot say what kind of Clause a Clause is unless we
carefully examine the work that it does in a sentence.
Exercise 35.
Pick out the clause in each of the following sentences, and say what kind of clause it is,
and with what word it is connected:-
1. Come when you like.
2. I know the man who is here.
3. He says that he met your brother.
4. The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world.
5. Before I die I intend to see Venice.
6. Let us rejoice as we go forward.
7. I was reading a book which I had read before.
8. Perhaps he thinks that I am a fool.
9. As I drew near I saw a very curious sight.
10. Where are the friends whom I knew?
11. Can a man live whose soul is dead?
12. I think that he will die.
13. I want to find the man who did this.
14. He made a vow that he would fast for a week.
15. Have you heard that Rama has won the prize?
16. It was not the vizier whom the king suspected.
17. He admitted that he wrote the letter.
18. That he will do it, I have no doubt.
19. I know the place which you mention.
20. That such a thing could happen, I do not believe.
21. When he heard this he turned very pale.
22. Have you seen the horse that he has bought?
23. My father hopes that you will visit us.
24. He behaved as a brave man should do.
25. I will wait until the next train comes.
26. The general feared that he would be surrounded.
27. He ate when he was hungry.
28. Since he has been in hospital he has improved greatly.
29. As I was going in my father came out.
30. There came a time when he was tired of waiting.
31. He spoke of a time when wars should cease.
32. They live where the climate is good.
33. I know a place where roses grow.
34. They have gone to a land whither few travellers go.
35. The wind bloweth whither it listen.
36. They returned whence they had come.
37. The swallows will return to the country whence such birds migrate.
38. Let none follow me to the retreat whither I now depart.
39. I refer to the year when the monsoon failed.
40. This is not the sort of place where you'll get rich in a hurry.
41. Sadly they returned to the prison whence they had so hopefully set forth that morning.
42. You will always regret the day when you did this.
43. Another occupies the seat where once I sat.
44. He has gone to that Bourne whence no traveler returns.
Exercise 36.
In each of the following sentences write a Clause in place of the words in italics, and say,
whether the Clause is a Noun Clause, an Adjective Clause, or an Adverb Clause:-
1. He cannot find a place to sleep in.
2. The girl with long hair is my cousin.
3. Have you heard the news?
4. In spite of his efforts he failed.
5. He walked slowly to avoid slipping.
6. This is my home.
7. He cried aloud for joy.
8. I am surprised at your question.
9. He works hard for a living.
10. Being lame he has to use crutches.
11. The sun having set, the army stopped to rest.
12. I heard of his arrival.
13. The duration of the war is uncertain.
14. His remarks were not received with approval.
15. He declared his innocence.
16. I am hopeful of his speedy recovery.
17. Did he explain the purpose of his coming?
18. He ordered the traitor to be executed.
19. He remarked on the boy's impudence,
20. His silence proves his guilt.
21. I cannot tell you the date of my return.
22. His share in the plot was suspected.
23. He speaks like a born orator,
24. Under existing conditions railway travel is expensive.
25. He is not so foolish as to accept your offer,
26. In my old home we had many fruit trees.

27. I promise you a holiday on condition of your good behaviour.

No comments: