Saturday, March 8, 2014

Exercises NOUNS AND PRONOUNS



Exercis
Fill in each blank with "who" or whom":-
1. I met a man today --- I had just heard was on the continent.
2. Any of you may take it; I don't care ---.
3. --- did you give that letter to?
4. The man --- I thought was my friend deceived me.
5. There was no doubt as to --- the speaker meant.
6. The vacancy was filled by Mr. Rao --- the manager said ought to be promoted.
7. The vacancy was filled by Mr. Rao --- the manager thought worthy of promotion.
8. It is Sohrab I think is the better of the two at swimming.
9. Ali was the man they intended should be our captain next year.
10. --- do you think is the better of the two at tennis?
11. Enoch Arden, ---, his wife thought, had died many years before, suddenly reappeared.
12. The boy I trusted proved worthy of my confidence.
13. --- do you take me for?
14. --- are you speaking to?
15. --- do men declare me to be?
16. A boy --- I believed to be him just passed this way.
17. I --- am most concerned, was not consulted.
18. The man --- you wished to see is here.
19. Where is the boy about --- you were speaking?
Exercise
Correct the following sentences:-
1. Where are jour luggages?
2. What beautiful sceneries!
3. Can you give me an advice?
4. He has eaten two breads.
5. I have an important work to do.
6. What an awful weather!
Exercise
Tell which of the italicized forms is right, and give the reason:-
1. She is one of the best mothers that (has or have) ever lived.
2. You are not the first man that (has or have) been deceived by appearances.
3. One of his many good traits that (comes or come) to my mind was his modesty.
4. This is one of the things that (kills or kill) ambition.
5. Treasure Island is one of the best pirate stories that (was or were) ever written.
6. Ambition is one of those passions that (is or are ) never satisfied.
7. This is one of the songs that (was or were) most popular.
8. We lament the excessive delicacy of his ideas, which (prevents or prevent) one from
grasping them.
9. Tyranny is one of those evils which (tends or tend) to perpetuate (itself or themselves).

No comments: