Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Exercise in Grammar Personal Pronouns

In the following sentences point out the Pronouns and say for what each stands:-

1. Alice was not a bit hurt, and she jumped up on to her feet in a moment.
2. There were doors all round the hall, but they were all locked.
3. Alice opened the door and found that it led into a small passage.
4. “I wish I hadn't cried so much,” said Alice.
5. “You are not attending”, said the Mouse to Alice severely. “What are you thinking of?”
6. “Come back!” the Caterpillar called after her. Alice turned and came back again.
7. Hari brought his book and laid it on the table.
8. Karim has lost his dog and cannot find it.
9. Suresh is at the head of his class, for he studies hard.
10. Rama, you are a lazy boy.
11. The camel is a beast of burden. It is used to carry goods across the desert.
12. The female lion is called a lioness. She has no mane.
13. The horse fell down and broke its leg.
14. Birds build their nests in trees.
15. If the thief is caught, he will be punished.
16. Train up a child in the way he should go.
17. And Nathan said to David, Thou art the man.

Exercise in Composition 26
In the following sentences use Pronouns in place of nouns wherever you can :-
1. Rama had taken his watch out of his pocket, and was looking at the watch uneasily,
shaking the watch every now and then, and holding the watch to his ear.

2. The boys went into the garden, where the boys saw a snake.
3. Very soon the Rabbit noticed Alice as Alice went hunting about, and called
out to Alice in an angry tone.

Exercise in Composition 27
Write the correct form of pronoun in the following :-
1. We scored as many goals as ---. (They, them)
2. Rama and --- were present. (I, me)
3. Can you sing as well as ---? (They, them)
4. Let you and --- try what we can do. (I, me)
5. Wait for Hari and ---. (I, me)
6. You know that as well as ---. (I, me)
7. It was --- that gave you the alarm. (I, me)
8. Between you and ---, I do not believe him. (I, me)
9. We are not so poor as --- . (They, them)
10. Rama is as old as ---. (I, me)
11. He is known to my brother and ---. (I, me)
12. He is as good as ---. (I, am)
13. Nobody but --- was present, (He, him)
14. He and --- were great friends. (I, me)
15. Whom can I trust, if not ---? (He, him)
16. Let --- who can answer this question. (He, him)
17. There isn't much difference between you and ---. (He, him)
18. None so blind as --- that will not see. (They, them)

19. It isn't for such as --- to dictate to us. (They, them)

No comments: