Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Adverb Clauses of Comparison Exercises


Exercise 53.
Use each of the following clauses in a sentence, and say what work it does in your
sentence:-

1. that he was tired
2. where he was born
3. as he was told
4. what you say
5. whosoever is guilty
6. who laughs last
7. because he is generous
8. since you say so
9. as he deserved
10. before it was too late
11. as soon as he heard the news
12. that he soon overtook me
13. where he had left it
14. how old he was
15. if you are diligent
16. because I was tired
17. what has become of him
18. when the train will arrive
19. who did it
20. whatever you think right
21. since I returned from Lahore
22. how this will end
23. what he wants
24. as he could
25. as he was not there
26. if 1 were you
27. that the streets were flooded
28. as I told him
29. before I submitted
30. that he is a millionaire
31. as she is beautiful
32. what you want
33. when his father died
34. as it was raining
35. as you please
36. than you are [strong]
37. although he is not rich
38. who works hard
39. that we shall win
40. when I shall return
41. if I had not helped you
42. although they fought most valiantly
43. when the cat is away
44. while it is hot
45. who help themselves
46. while the sun shines
47. till you are out of the wood
48. that wears a crown
49. who live in glass houses
51. that blows nobody good
53. as dreams are made on
55. where angels fear to tread
50. where ignorance is bliss
52. no sooner did he see me
54. that has no turning
56. so that we may live
Exercise 54.
Use the following subordinate clauses in as many different ways as possible by attaching
them to suitable principal clauses:-
1. where he was buried
2. when the train will arrive.
3. where he had left it.
4. who did it.
5. why he did it.
6. so that he might succeed in life.
7. whom he had met.
8. when the monsoon failed.

Exercise 55.
Complete the following sentences by supplying appropriate connecting words:-
1. Small service is true service --- it lasts.
2. It is a great loss to a man --- he cannot laugh.
3. We there met boy --- had lost his way.
4. It is the common doom of man --- he must eat his bread by the sweat of his brow.
5. Fit words are better --- fine ones.
6. He makes no friend, --- never made a foe.
7. The moment --- is lost is lost for ever.
8. Forgive us our debts --- we forgive our debtors.
9. The man --- stands by me in trouble I won't bid him go till the sun shines again.
10. Money ---- is easily earned is soon spent.
11. --- somewhat pompous, he was an entertaining companion.
12. --- Poetry takes me up so entirely --- I scarce see what passes under my nose.
13. He --- fights and runs away, lives to fight another day.
14. Never refuse to entertain a man in your heart --- all the world is talking against him.
15. --- you would be healthy, be good.
16. --- I am dead, my dearest, sing no sad songs for me.
17. A man has no more right to say an uncivil thing --- to act one.
18. --- the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.
19. --- this be madness --- there is method in it.
20. Consider the lilies --- they grow.
21. --- he has a car, he often goes to the office on foot.
22. --- we approached the house, we heard the sound of music.
23. I have not been well --- I returned from Delhi.
24. These are the books --- I ordered last week.
25. They live --- their fathers lived before them.
26. No one can tell --- this will end.
27. he had gone I remembered --- he was.
28. A man --- loses his temper continually is a nuisance.
29. Youth is the time --- the seeds of character are sown.
30. The house --- he was born lies in ruins.
31. --- my mother died I was very young.
32. Do not halloo --- you are out of the wood.
33. I shall see you tomorrow, --- we will talk the matter over.
34. They always talk never think.
35. I did not recognize him --- he told me --- he was.
36. They serve God well --- serve His creatures.
37. I have a little shadow --- goes in and out with me.
38. I met a boy --- told me --- I could find you.
39. We learn, --- we may be able to make our way in the world.
40. --- he was not there, I spoke to his brother.
41. A vessel that once gets a crack, --- it may be cunningly mended, will never stand such
rough usage --- a whole one.
42. --- it journeys through space, the earth is not alone; spinning round with it is the moon.
43. Other planets have moons --- ours is very large compared to the earth.
44. I resolved --- I would say nothing --- I knew the worst.
45. --- he was born, --- brought him up, and --- he lived, we are not told.
46. Nothing can describe the confusion of thought --- I felt --- I sank into the water.
47. --- he was a strict disciplinarian he was loved by all --- I served under him.
48. One great reason --- we are insensible to the goodness of the Creator is the fact --- his
bounty is so extensive.
49. Passengers are warned --- it is dangerous to lean out of the window --- the train is in
motion.

No comments: