Wednesday, February 5, 2014

7. Adverb Clauses of Comparison


53. Adverb Clauses of Comparison are of two kinds:-
(i) Adverb Clauses of Comparison of Degree.
(ii) Adverb Clauses of Comparison of Manner.

54. Adverb Clauses of Comparison of Degree are introduced by the Subordinating Conjunction than, or by the Relative Adverb as;
as,
He is older than he looks.
No one can run faster than Rama.
It is later than I thought.
You must work harder than I do.
He is as stupid as he is lazy.
He is not so clever as you think.

Note:- The verb of the Adverb Clause of Comparison of Degree is often understood and
not expressed ; as,

Nobody knows it better than I [do].
Few are better leaders than he [is],
You like curry better than I [like it].
It will happen as sure as death [is sure].
Not many know the truth of this better than you [know it].

Exercise 49.
Write five sentences containing Adverb Clauses of Comparison of Degree.
55. Adverb Clauses of Comparison of Manner are introduced by the Relative Adverb as ;
as;
You may do as you please.
It all ended as I expected.
As you have made your bed so you must lie on it.
As he has lived so will he die.
As the twig is bent the branch will grow.
Exercise 50.
Write five sentences containing Adverb Clauses of Comparison of Manner.

8. Adverb Clauses of Supposition or Concession
56. Adverb Clauses of Supposition or Concession are introduced by the Subordinating
Conjunctions though, although, even if.
Though I am poor I am honest.
Though the heavens fall, justice must be done.
Though He slay me yet will I love Him.
He set sail though the storm threatened.
Although troops had marched all day they fought bravely all night.
Although I forbade this you have done it.
I shall be able to get in although I have no ticket.
Even if it rains I shall come.
Exercise 51.
Write five sentences containing Adverb Clauses of Supposition or Concession.
Exercise 52.
Pick out the Adverb clauses in the following sentences, tell the kind of each clause and
point out the word in the main clause which it modifies:-

1. Forgive us as we forgive our enemies.
2. We sow so that we may reap.
3. He did it as I told him.
4. I couldn't be angry with him, if I tried.
5. He arrived as we were setting out.
6. If this story were false, what should you do?
7. It is ten hours since I had nothing to eat.
8. I make friends wherever I go.
9. At Rome we must do as the Romans.
10. If I were you I would do it at once.
11. The general was as good as his word.
12. My sight is as keen as yours.
13. Some seeds fell where there was no earth.
14. Since you say so, I must believe it.
15. Stand still if you value your life.
16. He labours that he may become rich.
17. He lost more than he could afford.
18. It is so simple that a child can understand it.
19. He kept on writing as though, he did not hear.
20. Boy as he was, he was chosen king.
21. He rides as a cowboy rides.
22. I will die before I submit.
23. He was caught in a shower as he was returning from school.
24. He speaks better than he writes.
25. He came in while I was out.
26. After the vote was taken the meeting broke up.
27. He wept as if he had been a child.
28. Apollo was worshipped as long as the Roman Empire lasted.
29. He consoled the unfortunate mother as best he might.
30. He ran so fast that I could not overtake him.
31. He knows that inasmuch as I have told him.
32. The younger man has more money than brains.
33. Since you desire it, I will look into the matter.
34. They set a strong guard, lest any one should escape.
35. He succeeded although his success was not expected.
36. The earth is larger than the moon.
37. It was dark when the cannonading stopped all of a sudden.
38. His pity gave ere charity began.
39. Wherever I went was my dear dog Tray.
40. He felt as if the ground were slipping beneath his feet.
41. Some people act as though they could do no wrong.
42. Fools rush in where angels fear to tread.
43. He dared not stir, lest he should be seen.
44. The movement was checked before it was fairly started.
45. A glutton lives so that he may eat.
46. Everything happened exactly as had been expected.
47. Robinson Crusoe was puzzled when he discovered the print of a foot on the sand.
48. Enough is as good as a feast.
49. He finished the work as the clock struck five.
50. As soon as you stand there, this young lady is your lawful wedded wife.
51. It's dull in our town since my playmates left.
52. Whilst I live, thou shalt never want a friend to stand by thee.
53. No sooner did this idea enter his head, than it carried conviction with it
54. They have gone ahead with the plan, although there is widespread public opposition.
55. They were commanded to wait till the signal was given.
56. Rich as he is, one would scarcely envy him.
57. Open rebuke is better than secret love.
58. Have you turned detective, that you keep your eye on me like this?
59. He had not read half a dozen pages, when the expression of his face began to change.
60. My eldest son was bred at Oxford, as I intended him for the learned profession.
61. His behaviour was such that everybody liked him.
62. I had scarcely taken orders a year, before I began to think seriously of matrimony.
63. If you have tears, prepare to shed them now.
64. The world always will be the same, as long as men are men.

No comments: