Saturday, March 8, 2014

Exercises PUNCTUATION



Exercise
Insert commas, where necessary, in the following sentences:-
1. In the old Persian stories Turan the land of darkness is opposed to Iran the land of
light.
2. History it has been said is the essence of innumerable biographies.
3. Attention application accuracy method punctuality and dispatch are the principal
qualities required for the efficient conduct of business of any sort.
4.When I was in Delhi I visited the Red Port, Qutab Minar, Raj Ghat, India Gate and
Chandni Chowk.
5. He was now in the vigour of his days forty-three years of age stately in person noble in
his demeanour calm and dignified in his deportment.
6. Your wife would give you little thanks if she were present to hear you make this offer.
7. A high-bred man never forgets himself controls his temper does nothing in excess is
courteous dignified and that even to persons whom he is wishing far away.
8. All that I am all that I hope to be I owe to my angel mother.
9. We all or nearly all fail to last our “lease” owing to accidents violence and avoidable as
well as unavoidable disease.
10. Nuclear bomb testing fills the air with radioactive dust and leaves many areas
uninhabitable for centuries.
11. In a strict and legal sense that is properly the domicile of a person where he has his
true fixed permanent home and principal establishment and to which whenever he is
absent he has the intention of returning.
Exercise
Punctuate the following :-
1. As Caesar loved me I wept for him as he was fortunate I rejoice at it as he was valiant I
honour him but as he was ambitious I slew him.
2. The shepherd finding his flock destroyed exclaimed I have been rightly served why did
I trust my sheep to a wolf.
3. However strange however grotesque may be the appearance which Dante under takes
to describe he never shrinks from describing it he gives us the shape the colour the sound
the smell the taste.
4. Perhaps cried he there may be such monsters as you describe.
5. Sancho ran as fast as his ass could go to help his master whom he found lying and not
able to stir such a blow he and Rozinante had received mercy on me cried Sancho did I
not give your worship fair warning did I not tell you they were windmills and that nobody
could think otherwise unless he had also windmills in his head.
6. Modern ideas of government date back to the 1960s when for the first time people
began to question a kings right to rule once through to be god given.
7. When I look upon the tombs of the great every emotion of envy dies in me when I read
the epitaphs of the beautiful every inordinate desire goes out when I meet with the grief
of parents upon a tombstone my heart melts with compassion. When I see the tomb of the
parents themselves I consider the vanity of grieving for those whom we must quickly
follow
8. They had played together in infancy they had worked together in manhood they were
now tottering about and gossiping away in the evening of life and in a short time they
will probably be buried together in the neighbouring churchyard.
9. Take away that bauble said Cromwell pointing to the mace which lay upon the table
and when the House was empty he went out with the key in his pocket.
10. One day walking together up a hill I said to Friday do you not wish yourself in your
own country again yes he said what would you do there said I would you turn wild and
eat mens flesh again he looked full of concern and shaking his head said no.
11. When a great office is vacant either by death or disgrace which often happens five or
six of these candidates petition the emperor to entertain his majesty and the court with a
dance on the rope and whoever jumps the highest without falling succeeds to the office
12. That familiarity produces neglect has been long observed the effect of all external
objects however great or splendid ceases with their novelty the courtier stands without
emotion in the royal presence the rustic tramples under his foot the beauties of the spring
with little attention to their colours or their fragrance and the inhabitant of the coast darts
his eye upon the immense diffusion of waters without awe wonder or terror.
13. If you look about you and consider the lives of others as well as your own if you think
how few are born with honour and how many die without name or children how little
beauty we see and how few friends we hear of how many diseases and how much poverty
there is in the world you will fall down upon knees and instead of repining at one
affliction will admire so many blessings which you have received from the hand of God.
14. We thank Thee for the place in which we dwell for the love that unites us for the
peace accorded us this day for the hope with which we expect the morrow for the health
the work the food and the bright skies that make our life delightful for our friends in all
parts of the earth.
15. Androcles who had no arms of any kind now gave himself up for lost what shall I do
said he I have no spear or sword no not so much as a stick to defend myself with.
16. My quaint Ariel said Prospero to the little sprite when he made him free I shall miss
you yet you shall have your freedom thank you my dear master said Ariel but give me
leave to attend your ship with prosperous gales before you bid farewell to the assistance
of your faithful spirit.
17. O master exclaimed Ananda weeping bitterly and is all the work undone and all by
my fault and folly that which is built on fraud and imposture can by no means endure
returned Buddha.
18. Wretch said the king what harm did I do thee that thou shouldst seek to take my life
with your own hand you killed my father and my two brothers was the reply.
Exercise
Punctuate the following:-
1. Nothing is so easy and inviting as the retort of abuse and sarcasm but it is a paltry and
an unprofitable contest.
2. Think how mysterious and often unaccountable it is that lottery of life which gives to
this man the purple and fine linen and sends to the other rags for garments and dogs for
comforters.
3. The human mind is never stationary it advances or it retrogrades.
4. The laws of most countries today are spilt into two kinds criminal law and civil law.
5. Islam is one of the worlds Jargest religions with an estimated ] 100-1300 million
believers it was founded in the 7th centurv bv the Prophet Mohammad.
6. There is a slavery that no legislation can abolish the slavery of caste.
7. Truly a popular error has as many lives as a cat it comes walking long after you
have imagined it effectually strangled.
8. So far from science being irreligious as many think it is the neglect of science that is
irreligious it is the refusal to study the surrounding creation that is irreligious.
9. None of Telleyrand's mots is more famous than this speech was given to man to
conceal his thoughts.
10. There is only one cure, for the evils which newly acquired freedom produces and that
cure is freedom.
11. If you read ten pages of a good book letter by letter that is to say with real accuracy
you are for evermore in some measure an educated person.


No comments: