Saturday, March 8, 2014

Exercise PUNCTUATION

Exercise
Insert commas, where necessary, in the following sentences:-
1. The necessity of amusement made me a carpenter a bird-eager a gardener.
2. Speak clearly if you would be understood.
3. Even a fool when he holdeth his peace is counted wise.
4. When we had dined to prevent the ladies leaving us I generally ordered the table
to be removed.
5. My orchard was often robbed by schoolboys and my wife's custards plundered
by the cats.
6. Whenever I approached a peasant's house towards night-fall I played one of the
most merry tunes.
7. By conscience and courage by deeds of devotion and daring he soon commended
himself to his fellows and his officers.
8. Wealth may seek us but wisdom must be sought.
9. Beware lest thou be led into temptation.
10. Brazil which is nearly as large as the whole of Europe is covered with a vegetation of
incredible profusion.
11. We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing while others judge us by
what we have already done.
12. Some are born great some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust
upon them.
13. I therefore walked back by the horse way which was five miles round.
14. Read not to contradict nor to believe but to weigh and consider.
15. The leaves as we shall see immediately are the feeders of the plant.
17. Sir I would rather be right than be President.
18. In fact there was nothing else to do.
19. At midnight however I was aroused by the tramp of horse's hoofs in the yard.
20. Spenser the great English poet lived in the time of Queen Elizabeth.
21. One of the favourite themes of boasting with the Squire is the noble trees on his
estate which in truth has some of the finest that I have seen in England.
22. When he was a boy Franklin who afterward became a distinguished statesman
and philosopher learned his trade in the printing office of his brother who published a
paper in Boston.
23. We had in this village some twenty years ago an idiot boy whom I well remember
who from a child showed a strong propensity for bees.
24. Margaret the eldest of the four was sixteen and very pretty being plump and fair with
large eyes plenty of soft brown hair a sweet mouth and white hands of which she was
rather vain.
25. A letter from a young lady written in the most passionate terms wherein she laments
the misfortune of a gentleman her lover who was lately wounded in a duel has turned my
thoughts to that subject and inclined me to examine into the causes which precipitate men
into so fatal a folly.

No comments: