Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Interchange of Affirmative and Negative Sentences


4. Interchange of Affirmative and Negative Sentences
75. Study the following examples.
1. Brutus loved Caesar.
Brutus was not without love for Caesar.
2. I was doubtful whether it was you.
I was not sure that it was you.
3. Old fools surpass all other fools in folly.
There's no fool like an old fool.
4. He is greater than me.
I am not so great as him.
5. Alfred was the best king that ever reigned in England.
No other king as good as Alfred ever reigned in England.
Exercise 64.
Express the meaning of the following sentences in negative form:-
1. He was more rapacious than a griffin.
2. He was as rapacious as a griffin.
3. Akbar was the greatest of the Great Moghuls.
4. He was greater than Aurangzeb.
5. The rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
6. As soon as he came, he made objections.
7. These fishing nets are all the wealth I own.
8. I always love my country.
9. Everest is the highest mountain in the world.
10. He is sometimes foolish.
11. He failed to notice me when he came in.
12. Everybody will admit that he did his best.
13. Only a millionaire can afford such extravagance.
14. Every man makes mistakes sometimes.
15. I care very little what he says about me.
16. As soon as he saw me he came up and spoke to me.
17. He must have seen the Tajmahal when he went to Agra.
Exercise 65.
Convert the following Negatives into Affirmatives:-
1. Nobody was absent.
2. He did not live many years in India.
3. No one could deny that she was pretty.
4. God will not forget the cry of the humble.
5. I am not a little tired'.
6. There was no one present who did not cheer.
7. I never in my life laid a plan and failed to carry it out.
8. Not many men would be cruel and unjust to a cripple. .
9. No man could have done better.
10. The two brothers are not unlike each other.
11. He has promised never to touch wine again.
12. We did not find the road very bad.
13. There is no smoke without fire.
14. It is not likely that he will ever see his home again.
an styo � f n k pk 12.0pt;font-family:TimesNewRoman;mso-bidi-font-family:TimesNewRoman'>26. The ship was set on fire and abandoned by the crew.
27. He was arrested on a charge of theft, but for lack of evidence he was released.

No comments: